People Who Make Me Look Bad

Seven years and counting and I have yet to win “MOM OF THE YEAR” award. I work overtime trying to earn this nod but I am inevitably reduced to epic failure. It doesn’t help my cause when there are people who make me look worse in my children’s eyes:

Photo credit: grandway.com

1. Parents who pack their children leftover chocolate cream pie for lunch. My poor kids don’t even get fruit snacks in their lunch. You can imagine the terror I felt when my daughter asked me to pack her homemade pie. I don’t bake. And, if I did, I certainly wouldn’t be inclined to wear an apron with heels to do so.

2. The creators of Disney’s hit show Jessie. This show is about four kids, one nanny, and a butler. I don’t want my daughter to think that having a butler is the norm. If I told her that mommy is a butler of sorts she’d never accept this as truth. Plus, the theme song is enough to drive anyone crazy.

3. Parents who buy their first graders an Ipod Touch. Are you serious? Since when does a six year old need an advanced electronic device. Um, never.

4. The mother who bought my daughter a gift card to Justice. She’s hooked thank you very much. I was trying to avoid shopping at this store as long as possible. I just can’t get myself to endorse second graders wearing lace and low-cut tops.

5. The twenty first century Tooth Fairy. When I was growing up, the Tooth Fairy left me a quarter only if she remembered. Nowadays, kids are getting DVD’s, barbie dolls, and even $20.00 cash. You’re really cramping my style lady.

6. The ice cream truck at the park before dinner. This guy couldn’t have worse timing. He shows up, without fail, five minutes before we’re about to pack it up and head home for dinner. That, and I always leave my wallet in the car.

7. Soccer moms who color coordinate ALL the parents on game day. I give myself a pat on the back when I remember to pack my daughter’s water bottle and orange slices. There’s no way I’d have time to send an email reminder about wearing team colors.

8. Teachers who tell my kids “Great Job” after every little thing they do. Look, I’m all about motivating our youth. What I don’t believe in is a sense of entitlement. I believe my kids need to work HARD to earn things in life. The reality is that no one gets a medal for finishing in fourteenth place.

9. My pediatrician. She gives me the ‘LOOK’ and I already know I’m in trouble. Yep, I agree. My son should be sleeping in his own bed by age three.

10. The well meaning family member who gives my children gummy bears first thing in the morning. I know you think my children are deprived. But if you wanted to upstage me, couldn’t you have brought donuts instead? Gummy bears stick to their teeth.

Who makes parenting HARDER for you?

Spent forty grand on a journalism degree just to learn that truth is stranger than fiction. Now I spend my days changing diapers and pairing socks. If you're looking for a place to commiserate, then come join me at keepingitrealmom.com. It's kind of like a playdate, but for grown ups.

87 Responses to “People Who Make Me Look Bad”

1. You are so funny! Loved this! Have a great day!

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 6:18 am
    • Aw, Diane! You’re the BEST. Always glad to hear from you my friend!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 6:31 am
    • This is great. Made me laugh because I know exactly how you feel! I think just about everyone makes me feel like this at times. Especially teachers and doctors. I know they mean well but it’s like they’re saying “I know your kid better than you!” *cringe*

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 12:06 pm
      • Yeah, I have a hard time with anyone who suggests they ‘know’ what’s best for my children. Makes the mama bear in me come out. Of course, I never really show that side of me because I bite my tongue before anything slips out!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 7:39 pm
      • Same here except I have let the Mama Bear escape a few times..but only on my older relatives. They later understood & just told me to retract my claws. :P

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 9:50 pm
  2. You pretty much hit the nail on the head! We are the same mom, except I bake…but I still wouldn’t send homemade pie for lunch. chocolate chip cookies…yeah. By the way, I bake in sweatpants and fuzzy slippers.

Posted by Gardengirl | January 24, 2013, 6:21 am
    • Yep, sweatpants and slippers for me too. Usually flip flops though because I’m on the West Coast! Though that ‘mom’ sure does look cute wearing that apron and holding a pre-made bag of cookies!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 6:33 am
      • My husband would probably like that look, or maybe with just the apron and high heels.

Posted by Gardengirl | January 24, 2013, 6:37 am
  3. EVERY SINGLE ONE of your points made me say “YES! YES YES!”
    II have a whole list of people who make me look bad, but I think that if I thought about it today, I might never stop crying. So instead, I’m going to laugh at your list and have a dance party in my living room!

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 6:30 am
    • HAPPY thoughts, think HAPPY thoughts! No one better make you cry my dear. Or, I’ll have to send in the troops. Meanwhile let’s get our dance on. I’ve been listening to Pink’s new song “Try.”

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 6:37 am
  4. Replace “mom” with “dad,” and this is me — especially the part about the first graders with iPods and blue ribbons for everybody. Kids already have a natural sense of entitlement nowadays because of the “instant everything” mentality of today’s society. Stuff like that doesn’t help. What does help is knowing that, someday, when it really matters, I can be an embarrassment to my children once they reach high school ;)

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 6:32 am
    • You’re right. The “instant everything” mentality is a huge problem for our children’s generation. Most kids think they deserve things just BECAUSE, not necessarily because they earned it. This will NOT fly in my house. Glad you found solace at the prospect of embarrassing your children. I’m sure they have lots to look forward to in high school!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 3:45 pm
      • Our house either. There’s always a transition period when they get home from school and they realize, “Oh yeah, Mom and Dad don’t put up with that.” If it were up to me, there’d still be swats at school. I got mine — and only once! Yes, they have a lot to look forward to when they get to high school; they just don’t know it yet ;)

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 5:24 pm
  5. :) Fun read! Yes, there are many who make me look bad… I was an embarassment to my son when he was freshman in HS but since then, miraculously, he’s liked to showcase me again…and so life goes!

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 6:41 am
    • I’m sure I will be a TOTAL embarrassment to my children in high school as well. They’ll probably beg me to walk at least two yards behind them. On a side note, hope you are doing well. I haven’t chatted with you in a while! :)

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 3:47 pm
      • Thanks for asking! I’m doing fine, just came home from my work trip to Egypt which was quite an adventure (still more posts to come on that). Now just enjoying the FL winter which is not too bad :)

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 4:57 am
      • You are a lucky lady to work in such exotic locations. Glad you’re enjoying the mild winter in Florida! I’m not fairing so bad on the West Coast either! :)

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 8:57 am
  6. ha!ha! like this post, is so funny! same for me the #9 ha!ha! :-) btw, it’s Ingrid from nowathomemom, it’s the 3rd comment I’m leaving on ur post, sorry but I can’t leave any comments with my wordpress account (don’t know why?) :-)

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 6:43 am
  7. ha!ha! like this post, is so funny! same for me the #9 ha!ha! :-) btw, it’s Ingrid from nowathomemom, it’s the 3rd comment I’m leaving on ur post, sorry but I can’t leave any comments with my wordpress account (don’t know why?) :-)

Posted by nowathomemom | January 24, 2013, 6:43 am
    • I finally get a name! Yay, Ingrid! And yes, pediatricians have this way of raising the mommy guilt by 100%. I always leave those appointments with my tail in between my legs. :)

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 3:49 pm
  8. TWENTY DOLLARS FOR A TOOTH?!!! That’s ridiculous! Hearing that just made parenting harder for me ;) (I also love Pink, so I’m dancing with you now!)

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 7:09 am
    • My daughter has already started the negotiation process. She thinks $20.00 is a reasonable amount for losing a tooth because that’s the amount her girlfriend received. I’m going to let her daddy handle this battle! As for Pink, I can’t help but rock out to her songs! Her lyrics have a certain edge that I can’t resist! :)

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 3:53 pm
      • I think I’m going to start negotiating with my kid’s friends’ parents: we’re all going to make a pact that the tooth fairy brings $1 or less because Mommy is cheap and refuses to buy a lie :)

P.S. Pink’s body is rockin’!!!!!!!

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 4:51 am
      • We REFUSE to buy a lie too! That’s why we just gave her a HALF dollar for her last tooth. She was over the moon! She thought a bigger sized looking quarter was cooler than a twenty dollar bill!

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 8:56 am
      • Oooooh!! SUCH a great idea!!!! Half dollars = big money, literally. Awesome!

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 10:36 am
  9. My daughter is currently selling cookies for Girl Scouts and if you reach a certain number you receive an Ipod…I don’t know if it is a touch….I really don’t know much about that stuff because we don’t have any of it but trust me we are staying away from that goal…currently she’s at t-shirt status and that is plenty good enough! And the deal with the tooth fairy…remember how I never have any money on me…well thankfully Iris hasn’t lost any teeth this year but she lost a boat load in Kindergarten and 1st grade. She was still oblivious to the worth of money (still kind of is) and the Tooth Fairy ended up giving her like 17 pennies or something like that most times and she was ecstatic because it looked like a ton of money!!!

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 8:07 am
    • T-shirt status is good. Let’s keep Iris on that level. I don’t think either one of us want our girls to grow up fast. And of course, I can relate to the “coinage” situation. You and I never seem to have loose change on us! Just might have to steal your idea about leaving LOTS of pennies under the pillow. Great idea, Melissa!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 3:57 pm
  10. We have a new baby, so it’s a constant game of “What are you doing? Should we be doing that? Is your baby advancing faster? Who’s cuter? Are we monsters for doing ___ and not doing ___?” Then it turns 7:30 and we all get too tired to care. Good times.

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 9:26 am
    • I feel your pain. I remember the new baby stage, questioning every little thing and thinking I was always doing something wrong. Then, you quickly learn as long as the baby is fed and dry, you’re in good shape!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 4:05 pm
  11. Can I give this post a gazillion likes?
    I’d have to say hands down winner is the mom who when I invited her daughter to my daughter’s birthday party texted me “Sorry, we’re swimming with dolphins that weekend”. My daughter felt a little cheated with her present that year and the following year asked to have a pool party (we live in Scotland and her birth day’s New Year’s Eve).

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 10:20 am
    • Okay, the swimming with the dolphins mom takes the cake! To have something so outrageous followed by your daughter’s modest request, is even more humbling. Well, knowing the mother that you are, I’m sure your daughter was quite satisfied with her birthday. It’s on New Year’s Eve and there isn’t a better day to celebrate!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 4:14 pm
  12. Oh, I love this list! You and I are totally on the same page! I was lamenting something or other about the way another mom had done something either for herself or her children, and my mom just reminded me to keep doing things the way *I know* is right for my kids. They are happy, healthy, bright, social, and all those things we want for our little ones. More and more moms in my ‘hood are getting nannies or sitters and keep asking me when my little A will start school…she is 3, after all! Breathe, think patient thoughts, be kind, I tell myself, and remember that we have made the best decisions we can for our specific, unique, complicated children. From what I’ve read of your posts, you’re doing a darn good job.

I actually have noticed more electronic devices among my son’s friends on the playground after school and I think it’s ridiculous. I told L yesterday to walk away from anything he’s hesitant about (content-wise) and if we are on the playground, I expect him to PLAY!

Have a great week, and stick to what you believe. Find mommies who will build each other up, not tear each other down by competing, comparing, one-upping. It’s getting harder, but they are still out there! –Alison

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 10:50 am
    • You hit the nail on the head, Alison. We have to find “mommies who build each other up, not tear each other down.” Perhaps that’s why I relish this blogging community so much. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is supportive of one another. It has restored my faith in social media. As for the mommy-o-meter, I agree that we need to do what is BEST for our children. As their full-time caretakers, we generally know what that dictates. Keep up the good work! I know you’re doing an amazing job with your babies!

Posted by Anka | January 26, 2013, 12:35 pm
  13. Justice – OHEMGEE I am SO right there with ya sister!
    (among a few other items you had listed as well!!!)
    xo reversecommuter

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 12:56 pm
    • It was only a matter of time before our girls discovered Justice, right? Now, I’m afraid there’s no turning back. I’m not looking forward to the teenage years!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 7:10 pm
  14. I love this, Anka. Perfect. I’ve got one for you…how about the mother who goes to field trips and uploads all photos onto the class website. My kid doesn’t see this one, actually, but I just know I could never be this organized! It always makes me feel pathetic.

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 1:13 pm
    • Oh, Amy! How could I forget THAT mom! There is always one mom at EVERY school who uploads photos from a field trip. I don’t even upload pics from own camera much less do it for a school web site. We can be pathetic together. No one else has to know our secret shame!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 7:15 pm
  15. I think I agree with you about everyone of these. I had the coordinated parent at the soccer game who arrived with homemade caramel popcorn!!!! Who does that? Should have had a sign that said, “I’m perfect on.” I never buy from the ice cream truck…I also never that money to the pool in the summer so I don’t have to fight over not buying snacks. Justice…ugh…It should be illegal to charge that for a shirt, especially a skimpy shirt. I always, ALWAYS, forget the tooth fairy. Disney is banned in my house. I got tired of shows with missing parents. Apparently Disney parents have kids and the never raise them…..

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 3:06 pm
    • Homemade caramel popcorn at a soccer game? That tops the color coordinating soccer mom. Perhaps this mom also needed a sign that said, “GLORY GLORY look at me!” At the end of the day, all this upstaging doesn’t matter. As long as we are loving our kids, we’re doing our job, right?

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 9:31 am
  16. HAHAHAHAHA! ANd all those years I thought it was ME making me look bad! Where was this list when I needed it???? :)

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 5:01 pm
    • Nope, Colleen it wasn’t YOU! It was all those other people who were constantly trying to upstage YOU! What does it really matter anyway, as fellow moms, we are doing the best we can. That, quite frankly, has to be good enough! :)

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 7:19 pm
      • And I agree.

Where were you, Dear Anka, when I needed someone to tell me I was doing “okay”?

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 3:08 pm
      • Oh, I wish I could’ve been a little birdie whispering in your ear during those difficult moments! I need affirmation from time to time as well. How about we just keep spurring one another on from our computer screens? :)

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 3:11 pm
      • I think that is a splendid idea! Happy parenting today Anka, your children are blessings, and blessed to have you! :)

Posted by | January 26, 2013, 5:04 am
  17. Are you for real about the tooth fairy thing?

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 7:10 pm
    • No joke. One of my daughter’s friends received a Madagascar 3 DVD. You have no idea what you’re in for!

Posted by Anka | January 24, 2013, 7:11 pm
      • I’m re-thinking putting myself through it! You parents got your work cut out for you these days.

Posted by | January 24, 2013, 7:42 pm
  18. Hilarious! Nice post:)

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 5:20 am
  19. OMGosh…. so funny and unfortunately true about other Moms and others who contribute towards kids ‘should haves’ in our society. Great post Anka!

Posted by mistymidnite | January 25, 2013, 6:52 am
    • Oh, Ellie, we have our work out for us. Kids are spoiled these days. We have to do our best to keep them on the straight and narrow. Have a fantastic weekend my dear!

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 9:01 am
  20. Love it! Completely sympathise – spend most of my life behind the curve when it comes to parenting although actually I think I’m doing my kids a favour in the long run – at some point they have got to stand on their own two feet without butlers, medals for coming last and someone pandering to their every whim!

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 7:37 am
    • I’m with you! I’d rather be considered an “uncool” parent than cater to my child’s every whim and want. I’m quite confident that going against the grain will be better in the long run too. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 9:07 am
  21. Kids get DVDs just for losing teeth? Being a kid just keeps getting better.

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 8:46 am
  22. Oh good stars i laughed so hard!
    My 3 year old still isn’t in his own bed so ja.

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 12:47 pm
    • Another mommy guilty of co-sleeping! So, what? If your little man sleeps better with you, then who cares! After all, you have to do what optimizes mommy’s sleep!

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 3:14 pm
  23. Bahaha… yes, yes, and yes (can’t relate to ALL of these, as I only have teeny humans), but the ones that relate to this age-group are spot-on! Hope you have a lovely weekend! ;)

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 1:07 pm
  24. Enjoy your teeny humans and the problems that go with the territory. Things will change in a few years time. Then, you and I will be having a totally different conversation about parenting woes. Have a restful weekend, Amber! :)

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 3:16 pm
  25. Now, that was cool!

Posted by | January 25, 2013, 3:39 pm
    • Glad you liked it, or maybe, could even relate? Feels good knowing that I’m not the only work in progress!

Posted by Anka | January 25, 2013, 7:33 pm
  26. Funny! Makes me remember to appreciate these days before my 3-year-old gets exposed to all the “evils of the world!”

Posted by | January 26, 2013, 12:14 pm
    • Yes, enjoy the beauty of innocence! Of course, there are ways to preserve a child’s youth, it’s gets harder as they get older. Then, they are more influenced by their peers. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted by Anka | January 26, 2013, 12:22 pm
  27. I don’t have kids but this is funny and I agree with everything you said. Especially the working hard and learning to earn things part. Nice post!

Posted by | January 26, 2013, 12:33 pm
    • Glad to hear you could relate even though you don’t have children. I guess it’s a good heads up for later down the road. And yes, I couldn’t agree more about BOTH children and full grown adults needing to earn things in life. Nothing should be handed over on a silver platter. Have a great weekend!

Posted by Anka | January 26, 2013, 12:37 pm
  28. Yes! I can relate to all of these! How about those parents who volunteer for every activity and field trip at school? I can barely remember, or just completely forget, when I am supposed to send in some item for a school project, field trip, etc.

Posted by | January 28, 2013, 4:48 pm
    • I’ll join your camp! I can barely remember to sign the homework packet much less sign up to volunteer for a craft center. I consider it a success when my daughter’s socks are matching! Good to hear from you. Hope you have a better than average week!

Posted by Anka | January 28, 2013, 7:24 pm
  29. Who makes parenting harder for me?
    I would bring up my in-laws but I am in a good mood.

As for the ice cream van – you may have missed the chance to go with the ‘when the music is playing the van is empty’ white lie that worked on my kids. But if you really want to be mean . . . when I was little my neighbours dad put salt on his cornet when he wasn’t looking and then told him that is what van ice cream tastes like. He never asked for a 2nd one :)

Posted by | January 29, 2013, 8:55 am
  30. #8! I love that you included #8! I believe it is the root of all evil and what is so wrong with the world today! Great post! I can relate to some of the others, although I’m married to a techie so our 7 year old does have an iPod touch. ;-)

Posted by | January 30, 2013, 10:23 am
    • I figured you’d agree with #8. You and I are always preaching that kids need to WORK to earn things in life. As for your son having an iPod touch, he gets a free pass because his daddy is a techie. It would almost seem unnatural for him NOT to have one. I just can’t let my daughter know or she’ll start nagging me to get one for her birthday! :)

Posted by Anka | January 30, 2013, 11:32 am
  31. These are so funny! My favorites were 3, 4, and 8. I can’t believe first-graders have iPod touches. Nope. For me, it’s those moms that I know are cooking every from scratch at home. Home-made bread, pasta, snacks. Then, they have time to clean their house and have their children looking immaculate every time I see them. That can’t be possible. They must be paying someone to help them. :)

Posted by | January 30, 2013, 11:12 am
    • I think those moms are definitely paying someone to help them. That just sounds too PERFECT to be true! Homemade pasta? My family is lucky if I boil the prepackaged stuff before 7:00 p.m. I’m always pressed for time when it comes to dinner. Good to hear from you Maya! Hope you and your beautiful babies are doing well! :)

Posted by Anka | January 30, 2013, 11:34 am
  32. Reblogged this on .

Posted by | January 31, 2013, 4:44 am
  33. Charming post. You can be my official: “mom” friend…like Erma Bombeck but funnier and cuter! ;)

Posted by | February 5, 2013, 7:50 am
    • It’s official, we’re new “mom” friends! Yay! And I gladly accept the throwback to Erma Bombeck too. Even though my husband would argue I don’t have a single funny bone in my body! :)

Posted by Anka | February 5, 2013, 5:53 pm
  34. Barbie dolls from the tooth fairy! Whoa..
    I love this post. Thanks for the likes on my blog. I suspect that we re hitting the same parenting fun spots along the way…

Posted by | February 8, 2013, 2:26 pm
    • It’s true, Emma! My daughter’s friend received a brand new Barbie. I have no idea how the parents pulled that off because a toy of that size wouldn’t fit properly under a pillow. In any case, it’s my pleasure stopping by your blog. And yes, I think we are visiting the same parenting blogs. It’s a small world after all, eh? :)

Posted by Anka | February 10, 2013, 10:05 am
  35. Oh my gosh I love this! My kids are older now so the problems have changed. Our biggest? Parents who let their 23-25 year old children live at home rent free and provide them with an abundance of food, car insurance, alcohol, and pay for their cell phone service! Can you believe ours is whining because we had the audacity to ask for $200 in rent?! lol I’d kick his booty out but his father is listening to the other parents making him look bad!

Posted by | February 16, 2013, 9:14 am
    • Wow! I’d definitely say the parents who are letting their kids mooch off of the them are making life harder. Stick to your convictions. Even though it’s difficult, you’re doing your son a favor. By the way, doesn’t it occur these 23-25 year olds that they need a job?

Posted by Anka | February 18, 2013, 9:12 am
  36. Parents who let their kids run wild in every way make my job virtually impossible!

Posted by | February 24, 2013, 2:16 pm
    • Once again, I find myself agreeing with you Hook! Kids, especially when accompanying their parents in a hotel, should NEVER be allowed to run wild. It’s a hotel not a zoo, right?

Posted by Anka | February 25, 2013, 6:07 pm

Giving form to the Chaos

Click to follow this blog and get the naked truth by email.

Days I put off housework