Secrets. I’ve got a few. But, I’m not willing to blast my emotional baggage across the internet. I consider it BRAVE enough having revealed my name and face to the virtual world. Then there are those who have zero shame. Who don’t mind sharing their darkest secrets online.
Ever heard of the Postsecret Project? It’s a hub that encourages people to reveal the skeletons in their closet. Founder, Frank Warren, has received more than 500,000 secrets mailed to him on postcards. The themes that come through Postsecret are love, betrayal, and the fall from grace. The most common secret Warren gets is: “I pee in the shower.” I discovered this phenomenon through my friend Becca. In fact, she inspired me to investigate my own secrets. This movement also motivated my friend Little Miss Wordy.
So, today, I am going to lay things bare. But, instead of mailing a postcard with just one secret, I’ve decided to share TEN secrets with you on my blog. Anonymity is overrated, right? Here’s a sampling of my hidden confessions:
1. The beach is twelve minutes from my house, and yet, I rarely go in the water. My fear of being stung by a sting ray prevents me from splashing in the waves.
2. I can curl my tongue into a tube shape. Some people haven’t inherited this trait. Tongue rolling remains a popular debate in genetic studies.
3. I have a strange ritual before falling asleep. I MUST take my socks off and lay them at the foot of the bed. Socks do not belong between the sheets.
4. When I was pregnant with my first child, I craved Kraft Macaroni & Cheese round the clock. The creamier the better.
5. I love wearing scarves. Even though I live on the west coast, scarves are a must during cold winter nights.
6. I’ve never killed a bug, at least not intentionally. My husband catches the critters and escorts them to the front door. They have families too.
7. I only get a haircut twice a year because I like wearing my hair long. That, and I’m busy maintaining my home that I forget about my personal upkeep.
8. During my twenties, I secretly wanted to get a tattoo. But fortunately, I was terrified of needles so I never got inked.
9. Every evening, around 7:00 p.m., I take out my contacts and put on glasses to give my eyes a rest.
10. My first concert was U2. Bono sounds even better live. My second concert was watching Santana open for the Rolling Stones.
I’ll throw in a bonus secret just because I love you so much . . . I secretly wish I could play the guitar. Acoustic or electric, it really doesn’t matter. Every chord reverberates with soul. Maybe Renaissance Man will teach me how to play.
Now, it’s your turn. What are some of your SECRETS?