Mark Your Calendar for the Next Sleep Fest

Apparently, was last Thursday, January 3rd. There’s not much history on this holiday, but any day dedicated to catching up on sleep is worth celebrating.

I did not participate in the shuteye fest. Even if the opportunity was presented, I don’t think I’d qualify for a Festival of Sleep. To qualify you’d actually have to sleep. And well, my three year old son makes sure that doesn’t happen.

For those who did have the luxury of joining the festivities, they committed to snoozing a full nine hours. Some even took naps in their cubicles. Call me jealous. Call me crazy. But since having kids, I can’t imagine getting six consecutive hours of sleep much less nine.

My crowded bed is to blame.

Layers of blankets and pillows are not the only reason. My bed has been taken over by little people. Every single night for the last seven years there’s been a kid in my bed. Maybe even a stuffed animal or two. At this point, I’m used to all the overlapping.

But what I cannot come to terms with is a blanket stealer. I like my blankets. Love feeling wrapped up and snuggled in warmth. So does my daughter. Lately, we’ve been playing tug-of-war in bed. Covers on. Covers off. No win in sight. I inevitably surrender and spend a larger portion of the night uncovered.

This situation doesn’t bode well for someone who shivers below sixty.

Most of you know that I live on the West Coast. This means I walk around in flip flops two thirds of the year. But when it comes to bedtime, the mild temps have no bearing on whether blankets are warranted or not. Rain or shine, covers are a must. During summer I still use a light blanket to cover at least half my body. I know. I’m a wimp.

The point is, instead of taking a to see if my sleep smarts make the grade, I am obsessing over my covers. The fact that I’m sleep deprived is inconsequential. I just want my blankets back.

I can sleep anywhere as long as I have a blanket.

How about you? Covers on or off?

* P.S. Don’t fret if you’ve missed January’s slumber fest. There is another one coming up July 27th. National Sleepy Head Day, a day set aside to wake the last person sleeping in the house with WATER. I can’t imagine this holiday going over well in my home.

45 Responses to “Mark Your Calendar for the Next Sleep Fest”

1. Covers absolutely must be on, even if it means cranking the A/C down to 68!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 7:15 am
    • The A/C is an entirely different issue for me. This is where hubby and I can’t reach an agreement. He can sleep with air conditioning and I absolutely cannot. I’m such a wimp when it comes to the cold. Hope you get some rest this weekend even though you’re busy preparing for your book launch!

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 9:12 am
  2. If ONLY I had known about the July 27th day of festivities when I was still in the house with 7 of my own siblings! :)

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 7:26 am
    • Colleen, can you imagine? There would buckets of water spilled throughout the entire house. Who would be the greatest offender out of you seven?

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 9:05 am
      • There are 8 of us total. The youngest would have been excluded. They would have given their best but the bigger ones would have done the most water damage. But the middle ones would have gotten in the most trouble. That’s where I would be sitting. In the middle. Getting wet. And in trouble! :)

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 2:09 pm
      • Stuck in the middle, huh? Sounds like you have a few partners in crime. I’m sure you have dozens of stories about the pranks you pulled growing up!

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 3:08 pm
      • Hmmmmm, pranks? Or secret missions. I guess which ever name you go by….. ;)

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 3:48 pm
  3. OMG, 9 hours sleep! The last time I had that I think I was three months old!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 8:18 am
  4. Lately I’ve been wrapping myself in my own blanket and then getting into bed. Otherwise I would freeze! I always end up with a child or two, or maybe even a four-legged furry fellow. 9 hours of uninterupted sleep….someday, maybe…

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 8:33 am
    • You absolutely need to cover yourself with a blanket before turning into bed. Doesn’t it snow in your neck of the woods? I don’t know how I’d survive freezing temps. Probably turn into a Popsicle.

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 8:56 am
  5. usually off but my feet must be covered, loosely, at all times. No covers tucked into the end of the bed for me!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 8:55 am
  6. Perhaps this explains why I was so fuzzy-headed all of yesterday. I was celebrating unknowingly… A few months into our cohabitation, I decreed that the only thing that would save our marriage was separate blankets. And this was pre-kids. He’s an evil, evil blanket stealer. I retaliate. To this day, whoever wants to sleep in the family bed has to bring his or her own pillow and blanket. I won’t share.

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 9:08 am
  7. Covers on, but my feet can’t feel trapped which means the blankets can’t be tucked in at the bottom of the bed. First thing I do in a hotel bed, is untuck those sheets. I’m sure some psychologist will have a field day with this comment! I’m going to expect a reminder next year as I love sleep…especially a good nap since I don’t sleep well at night. Must have something to do with being a mom!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 9:30 am
    • Little miss wordy, that’s too funny! I would love to hear a professional synopsis of your untucking the sheet ritual. Come to think of it, I don’t like having my feet TRAPPED in the blankets either. I knew we were cyber soul sisters for a reason!

Posted by Anka | January 10, 2013, 4:34 pm
  8. Our house stays at about 70-72 degrees year round, and most days that requires the air conditioning to be on. South Florida gives us maybe a solid two weeks (but not consecutive) or three to use the heater. That being said, I have been using not just the cotton sheet and light coverlet on our bed, but I’ve been taking a super soft, thick-like-a-sweater blanket that I bought at Target to bed, too. I even call it “Woolly” now. My husband thinks I’m a strange, thin-blooded dork, but he still snuggles close with his shorts and t-shirt, while I curl up under Woolly in pants and long sleeves. I even bought a Woolly for A’s room–when our kids wake up and call for us, they stay upstairs and we go to them. I’m still not sure if this is better or worse than having them come down to us! I have spent many a pre-dawn hour curled up in the recliner in A’s room under the Upstairs Woolly. It’s not as comfy in the chair, but my daughter does not snore like her Daddy, either. Sleep is elusive for any parent….sigh. Get those naps when you can!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 10:45 am
    • We can be “thin blooded dorks” together! I happen to sleep in yoga pants and sweatshirts too. What’s wrong with us? It’s not like we live in New England where it’s really cold!

Posted by Anka | January 10, 2013, 4:47 pm
  9. Oh my word – how did I miss that?? I must mark it on my calendar for July and next January!
    I’m with you – love my covers. I have to have mine pulled up to cover half of my ear. No idea why. I blame my mother who still to this day runs around and puts blankets on nappers. Yep – pulled up to cover your ear…..

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 12:04 pm
  10. We must have a celebration when our kids move out of our beds! Bency is still going strong and now Cesar is starting to make appearances. It’s a slumber party every night at our house! I’m thinking in 6 years I should be clear to set a date for an ultimate party to blow a horn to celebrate sleeping a whole night through without any interruptions!!!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 12:37 pm
  11. I’m with you, Anka. Covers must be on, otherwise no sleep. It just feels weird. But 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep? Really, dream on!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 3:53 pm
  12. Obviously, you slept through it! :D

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 4:18 pm
  13. Seven years of a kids in your bed…goodness, you might think to call on one special blanket that is your very own !! Im a snuggler with blankets too, and I need my own ! …. :)

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 5:01 pm
  14. Having woken up to Jack Frost this morning and slid to school and back with kids, I can say I am a two duvet girl. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And oh for six hours uninterrupted. Shouldn’t there be a national ‘give a mother you know with sleep deprivation a night’s sleep’ day???

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 2:31 am
  15. I’ve got to have the covers on or I can’t sleep. This has been super frustrating because our baby boy won’t sleep if he’s got something covering him unless he pushes it way down. Since he sits at perfect breastfeeding level, this means I have to fight to get the blankets up where I need them, especially since my boyfriend is doing the same on his other side. I’ve come to the conclusion that we just need to get a bigger blanket. This will clearly solve all the drama! (Well, maybe more accurately will give one of us a blanket to share and one of us a smaller one all to themselves!)

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 9:31 am
    • I have a similar problem. My three old son can’t stand being covered up either. As for your sleeping arrangement, a bigger blanket is definitely in order. On a side note, I remember those tenders days of breastfeeding in bed. Treasure those moments. Your little guy will be walking then running before you know it.

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 9:40 am
      • He’s actually our fourth one, and possibly our last. All of our older kids have decided on their own to stop co-sleeping pretty early on, so I’m trying to treasure this for as long as it’s worth. He’ll be out of our bed and into his own space or the sibling bed before we know it, and then I’ll be wanting those days back!

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 9:48 am
      • Well then, you know how very fast time flies! At least you have four sets of feet in the house. I only have two. But, they keep me very busy!

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 10:28 am
  16. I have nominated you for an award on my site! You can see it here:

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 9:50 am
  17. I admit, I am a blanket stealer. But I really don’t do it on purpose. I blame the tossing and turning. And NO I did NOT know that Jan 3rd was a sleep day!!!! Although I don’t think my boss would have liked my excuse if I had known (and participated)… : “Um oui bonjour, I am sorry I am like 5 hours late to work but you see, it was national sleep day…er International sleep day I mean…” ! ;)

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 1:51 pm
    • Bonjour mon amie! Comment tu t’appelle? J’ai oublie comme de parler beacoup de langue parce que je sois une mere. Anyway, I am pleased to meet another french speaking commrade. I took french back in college so go easy on me. It’s been a few years, like ten or more. And yes, even though you’re on another continent, you should still mark your calendar for the next sleep fest. I’m sure your boss will find it perfectly acceptable! :)

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 3:13 pm
      • Haaaaa! Merci Anka! I will give my boss plenty of notice so she knows to give me Jan 3rd off! ;) Je m’appelle Melissa. Je suis ravie de savoir que tu parles un peu de français. :) Enchantée ma belle!!! *Bisous de Paris*

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 3:33 pm
  18. I’m the same! I def need blankets on year around! My children usually get out of our bed by 12 months or so but my baby girl is going strong and she shows no signs of retreating. Between her and my husband they sleep horribly and def steal blankets! It’s been about 2 years since we’ve moved on to separate blankets for everyone, it’s a lifesaver!

Posted by | January 13, 2013, 4:30 am
  19. I have had three sleepless nights in a row. Last night found me on the couch in the basement watching an old PD James mystery..at three am. I am VERY ready for a national day of rest.

Posted by | January 13, 2013, 2:36 pm
    • After learning that you got struck with the flu, you are definitely in need of a national day of rest. Shoot, you probably need a week of sleep to fully recover. Hope you get better soon!

Posted by Anka | January 14, 2013, 7:49 pm