Swallow a dose of HAPPY

For years I wondered what it was like to be Mother Theresa. To help those living in grim poverty and minister to children who are barefoot and have no water to drink. I knew if I could replicate even the smallest fraction of Mother Theresa, I would be loved.

Pretty impressive? Yeah, right.

The real Anka is a bundle of paradoxes and contradictions. I love and I hate. I feel good about feeling good. I feel guilty for feeling guilty. I’m trusting but I’m suspicious. I’m honest but I like to play games. That’s just part of my story, but it is not the whole story.

Today is a new chapter. It is the first Monday of 2013. A season of fresh starts. As such, I have partnered with and to launch a campaign that encapsulates the idea of second chances.

PROJECT OPTIMISM is about having HOPE even when things appear impossible. Ergo monkey trying to catch a two ton elephant.

Going forward, I will dedicate Mondays to a post about OPTIMISM. I figure I could devote at least one day to being positive. Plus, like my friend Becca says, “negativity is unattractive.” It’s true. No one wants to hang out with Negative Nancy for long. A bad attitude is so unbecoming. Kindness is what’s really attractive. And self-pity, well, self-pity is good for nothing.

At some point everyone needs to swallow a dose of happy!

As for me, on this day, I choose to see my glass half full. To see the world with lots of potential. To be a lover of JOY! That doesn’t mean life will be reduced to rainbows and butterflies. It just means there is hope for tomorrow.

Do you think it’s time for a dose of HAPPY?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you’re interested in spreading A TON OF HOPE, here’s what you need to do:

1. Write about something that makes you feel optimistic. It could be a bowl of ice cream that causes you to beam with joy. Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia has done it for me on occasion. Whatever it is, write from your heart.
  2. Post MONDAYS. Start the week off with a positive outlook.
  3. Grab a badge by going to your dashboard and clicking the IMAGE widget. Adjust pic size 200h x 200w. The image URL: ()
  4. Send me a link to your Optimism post in the comment section. Link over here and invite blogger friends to join in.
  5. Encourage the person who linked up before you. Kindness is contagious!

87 Responses to “Swallow a dose of HAPPY”

1. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 6:40 am
  2. What you say is really important. I’ve been trying to practice optimism for quite some time…probably wouldn’t be here anymore at my “ripe” age without it :)

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 6:59 am
  3. What a great idea! The whole world needs a dose of happy!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 7:43 am
  4. Great idea, especially for a Monday. Which gets such an unfair rap…

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 7:49 am
    • Ahhhhh, finally! A moment to respond to you, Jane! Hubby just got home. Anyway, yes, I agree Mondays do get a bad rap. We can counter those blues with HOPE even if it’s not natural at 6:00 a.m.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:09 pm
  5. Tweeting out as #projectoptimism

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 7:50 am
    • Yay! Thanks for sending HAPPY thoughts out into the twitterverse. I have NO idea how to use this platform. Remember, I don’t even have a FACEBOOK account. Maybe you can be my social media liaison?

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:13 pm
  6. This is so good. I love the idea. What better bloggers to do this than you and your friends Anka. Perhaps I might even give it try. Really nice !

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 7:53 am
    • Ellie, you’re part of this too! You’ve been my blogger buddy for some time now. If you’re ever feeling up to it, try writing an ode to something that makes you feel SUPER happy. Your recent post on the color pink would’ve been perfect!

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:16 pm
  7. Fabulous idea! Being such a downer all the time does nobody any good and it’s just exhausting anyway. I am trying to live and laugh at life when I can and concentrate on the good things.

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 7:57 am
    • I find it exhausting to be a downer too. It takes so much ENERGY to be grumpy. I think if I spent an afternoon at your house I’d probably be cured of all sorts of ills.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:19 pm
  8. Great idea!! Happy New Year to you.

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 9:27 am
    • My New Year is officially HAPPY! It’s good to hear from you. I tried emailing you several times during the post exchange. But that’s neither here nor there. I’m just happy to see your face again!

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:22 pm
  9. this is a wonderful idea… and i just love the monkey catching the elephant… it’s kind of how i feel some days… but of course you had me at bowl of ice cream. happy happy day to you!! :)

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 10:24 am
    • I figured you’d like to the tribute to ice scream. See that, see what just happened? I misspelled the word “ice cream.” There is only one woman I can thank because of that! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:26 pm
  10. Love the idea and the badge! Did you create that yourself? I’ll be looking forward to your Monday posts for some positive vibes!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 11:01 am
    • The only thing I created was the text. The photo is a stock image. I couldn’t draw a straight line if someone paid me. Can you help me design future badges? I have many ideas but no one to translate them into reality.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:29 pm
  11. What a great idea Anka! Definitely a Mother Theresa move! I already checked out the other girl’s posts and I am excited to see what you all have in store for us! I can always use some optimism sent my way! Love it!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 11:25 am
    • Oh no! Mother Theresa and I shouldn’t be put in the same sentence. But, for my teeny tiny part, I will try to push through my negativity and set aside one day to be HAPPY. Certainly, that’s the least I can do. Also, if you’re ever feeling up to posting on a Monday, let me know.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:35 pm
      • Yeah, I’ll see if something plops inside my head…I’m really flying by the seat of my pants over here! I usually come up with an idea when I’m in the shower and then take 5 minutes to write it out….I never plan anything! I need to get more organized with my blogging!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 6:40 pm
  12. I like it! And I hope today includes a healthy dose of happy for you. I’ve decided 2013 is going to be a year of determination for me. Somewhere in there, it has to include some optimism, right? :)

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 11:45 am
    • Cheers to determination! I could use a dose of that. Definitely includes a twist of optimism. No matter what you write, I always leave your blog feeling better. I’ll never forget the first ‘virtual’ mimosa we shared during your 50th post celebration! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:37 pm
      • :) Support like yours contributes to my newfound determination <3

And get your glass ready–soon I'll be hitting my 100th!

Posted by | January 8, 2013, 3:02 am
  13. That’s some mighty good stuff right there!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 12:02 pm
  14. Optimism, love it! :) I have tagged you in a post for a Coffee Quiz, if you want to play.

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 1:29 pm
  15. Great idea,!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 1:30 pm
  16. I like this idea. Count me in!!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 2:37 pm
    • Yay, Ellie! I haven’t had a chance to stop over yet. But hopefully, you grabbed a badge. I think we could have lots of fun with this. Doesn’t have to be heavy or philosophical post. HAPPY could be found in a box of chocolates!

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:45 pm
  17. Guess what?? I posted something optimistic this morning before reading this post :) I just added the image widget with link to my site :) Great idea!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 2:52 pm
    • Thrilled that you’re on board! I can’t believe that our hearts and minds were in alignment. Kind of cool! Looking forward to reading about your dose of HAPPY! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:48 pm
  18. I’m sending positive walking vibes to my friend’s 3 year old with Down Syndrome, and in their challenge of walking a day for Mirabel. I’m documenting my journey on my series of Letters to Mirabel:

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 3:26 pm
    • I think that’s an INCREDIBLE way to spread optimism. I applaud you for your dedication and giving a voice to such a worthy cause. Sounds like you are already ahead of the game.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:50 pm
  19. We can all use a dose of happy! Loved the positiveness in this post!

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 5:45 pm
    • Yes, HAPPY is going to be the ‘new black’! I’ve been a negative Nancy for some time. Hoping my excitement spills over into tomorrow and the next day after that. It helps to have such an encouraging and supportive blogging community!

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:53 pm
  20. Yes! Almost any time is the perfect time for a dose of happy! I’m going to join in next Monday, if I remember. For now I’ll say I’m happy my son shouted, “Mommy! I missed you!” instead of running away after preschool today. :)

Posted by | January 7, 2013, 5:54 pm
    • Yay! Happy to have you on board. I know you’re busy with the move. But I would be thrilled to see you spreading the HOPE whenever you’re ready. Thanks for sharing the tender moment you had with your little man. I’m sure it made your heart BEAM! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 7, 2013, 6:58 pm
  21. I think that’s a great idea. A very “3-legged dog” approach to the new year (if I can be forgiven for referencing my own log post). I will happily participate (Here, I mean. I’m not inviting myself to join you)

Posted by | January 8, 2013, 8:34 am
    • You’re forgiven. I wouldn’t want you to have lingering guilt. And I happily welcome you to participate here. Mondays are brutal so I may need help.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 8, 2013, 9:11 am
  22. I love it!!!!
    you are so awesome :) Missed you

Posted by Cynthia Matos-Medina | January 8, 2013, 9:04 am
  23. Love this idea! I have to look at it when I’m not on break at work so I can really see what it’s about. *(Quick glances do not get quickly absorbed by my slow functioning brain.)

Looks intriguing and wonderful. :)

Posted by | January 8, 2013, 11:17 am
    • A quick glance is good enough, Colleen. You’ve already been spreading OPTIMISM on your blog so this is right up your alley. The only thing different is that we’ll be posting our dose of HAPPY on Mondays. Because, well, we need something to shake the morning blues.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 9, 2013, 8:11 am
  24. Great idea, this post, came out at a great time, for the last 2 weeks, I’ve been trying very hard to stay positive and to see things in a different way! :-) A dose of Happy on Mondays will be great :-) This is so true : Kindness is what’s really attractive!!! :-)

Posted by | January 8, 2013, 2:43 pm
    • It’s not easy staying positive. Especially when you’re sleep deprived and have got a toddler to chase after. But we can most certainly try to remain optimistic. For me, something as simple as a hot cup of coffee, can give me great pleasure.

Posted by Keeping it Real | January 9, 2013, 8:15 am
  25. Great idea! My New Year’s Resolution is to be in a better mood, more positive, so this will be right up my alley. I hope I’ll be able to contribute at times!

Posted by | January 8, 2013, 8:29 pm
  26. Love it! I feel good about feeling good too. And I’m a cynical idealist. And I think truth is important but you shouldn’t really feel guilty about lying if the subject matter is nobody’s business. Real life people are confusing.

Posted by | January 9, 2013, 7:40 am
  27. I hope your happiness carried into the rest of your week!!!!!

Posted by | January 10, 2013, 5:42 pm
    • The happiness has ebbed and flowed. We got struck with the plague on Tuesday so it’s been rough! I’m optimistic things will be looking up by Monday. Have a lovely weekend my dear!

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 8:46 am
      • OH NO!!!! I wish I could send you my antibodies…the plague that’s going around now is AWFUL! Feel better, my beautiful friend!

Posted by | January 12, 2013, 11:13 am
  28. this is a fabulous idea!

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 4:35 am
    • Thanks, Barbara! Please feel free to participate whenever the mood strikes. Have a fantastic weekend!

Posted by Anka | January 11, 2013, 8:46 am
  29. What a fabulous idea! And yes, it would be nice to express positive thoughts on a regular basis. My father always says : “PMA : Positive Mental Attitude, is the best way to deal with everything”. :)

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 1:54 pm
  30. I’ll be posting my first Project Optimism post on Monday!!!!

Posted by | January 11, 2013, 3:50 pm
  31. Discovered you through Melissa, and just blogged about it on my blog. Good luck – the cause is a great one! :-D

Posted by | January 14, 2013, 1:14 am
    • Glad you’re on board. I think the cause is great too. It’s time to switch up the attitude and start seeing the glass half full! :)

Posted by Anka | January 14, 2013, 10:43 am
    • Sab! So glad I inspired you to check it out! Met you could do an “optomistic paris street art” post?!? :)

Posted by | January 14, 2013, 3:35 pm
  32. Here’s my contribution:

Posted by | January 14, 2013, 3:02 pm
  33. OK – here we go. I love Mondays! Have a dose of happy thoughts :)

Posted by | January 15, 2013, 12:51 pm
  34. We can all use focusing on optimism over negativity. We are what we think

Posted by | January 16, 2013, 11:21 am
    • You’re right, Jeremy. The mind is a battlefield. We have to be especially aware of the thoughts that circulate in our head. Focusing on the positive is a good place to start!

Posted by Anka | January 16, 2013, 7:37 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: - January 13, 2013

2. Pingback: - January 14, 2013

3. Pingback: A Silver Lining in the WordPress Reader « Keeping it Real - January 14, 2013

4. Pingback: - January 14, 2013