My blogger friend, , is one witty woman. Her ability to fuse the perils of parenting with humor is truly a gift. She always keeps me coming back for more. I am honored to have such a talented writer closing out my Share the Love series.
Thanks again to everyone who participated. Looking forward to next year’s ”Guest Post” exchange.
A big virtual hug to Anka and all her fabulousness for inviting me to guest blog! In addition to our shared affinity for chocolate and family, we are one another’s loyal readers, and I am honored to collaborate with her.
Around 7 this evening, my floors reappeared from underneath a sea of wrapping paper and toys with “27 pieces included.” It was the first time all day that I felt a sense of relaxation come over me. Granted, the glass of red helped, but I finally felt like I had accomplished something.
I’m very Type A, so crossing things off of a to-do list is like crack to me. One would think, based upon that criteria, making a New Year’s resolution would really float my boat. Nope. In fact, I pretty much suck at long-term commitments. My husband doesn’t count, but just ask my jeans how well I’ve kept all those annual promises to lose weight. Or my kids’ scrapbooks how well they’re coming along.
Anyway, that’s why this year I’m doing the opposite; instead of looking ahead to what I could be doing, I’m looking back on the things that I have already done. These are a few of the “accomplishments” that I think other Mamas will identify with and, for that, I am sorry for you:
- I put my son in preschool and scarred him for life. We ended up switching schools and now he loves it, but it was touch and go there for a while.
- That same kid was finally potty trained by means of the No Pants Allowed Rule. That, too, may have scarred him for life (he doesn’t like messes), but I’m down to one kid in diapers so score for me.
- My husband and I celebrated our 6th year wedding anniversary. On our honeymoon, we mused about spending future anniversaries in exotic locations with tropical drinks in hand. Bethany Beach with our two kids and my parents and brother wasn’t quite what we had in mind, but at least there was sand in between our toes.
- I also celebrated the 11th anniversary of my 21st birthday and noticed a few extra lines on my face and gray hairs in my head. I’m trying to appreciate them, but until then, a good moisturizer and dye job should do the trick.
- My daughter officially entered toddlerhood, and on her first birthday my uterus begged for another baby. A month later, I found her standing on top of our dining room table. Shortly thereafter, I was introduced to my new best friend: the NuvaRing.
- I bought my first pair of skinny jeans. And returned them. I was inspired to write about how the attire choices for Mamas like me is limited, and was for my rant!
- Friends kept telling me I should write a blog about parenting and swearing (two of my favorite things), and I did!!! I’ve kept the f-bombs to a minimum, but here we are almost a year later and I’m still doing it. Hey! Look at me keeping a commitment to blogging! WordPress, you complete me.
Before you start planning ahead, take a minute and look back: what have you done this year that brings a smile to your face?