It’s Not Too Late to Spread Christmas Cheer

In less than twenty four hours, my living room will look like a tornado swept through and my camera will be full from photos snapped during Christmas morning. Meanwhile, there is still work to be done. Lots of it.

Last minute wrapping, trips to the grocery store, and if time allows, baking a dessert that includes egg nog. Renaissance Man loves nog. These are just a few things I need to finish before midnight. I am a notorious procrastinator. But, I will not fret. There is still time to spread cheer. Here are twenty ways I plan on keeping my spirits high this Christmas:

1. Practice smiling. It really is contagious.
  2. Sing for all to hear. Not sure if I can actually volunteer for caroling. There is a reason no one has EVER heard me sing aloud.
  3. Bake cookies. Now, this I can do. Shoot, they don’t even have to finish baking. Just a sampling of cookie dough makes me happy!
  4. Pull out the craft box and make hubbie a coupon book. Offer a free back massage. Sounds good until your too tired to pay up.
  5. Open an expensive bottle of wine. Definitely worth the splurge. A glass of cabernet takes the edge off a sink full of dishes.
  6. Consider ordering pizza for myself and a neighbor. Because everyone can use help in the kitchen the night before Christmas.
  7. Use gift bags instead of wrapping paper. Nothing spoils a mood quicker than unruly wrapping paper and an uncooperative tape dispenser.
  8. Prepare a fresh batch of popcorn and watch one of the best Christmas movies ever made, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
  9. Hang up the mistletoe. For obvious reasons.
  10. Take a bubble bath to relieve stress. Yeah, right. My children’s toys have taken over the tub.
  11. Don’t tell someone to stop being a Grinch. This only increases the Grinchiness.
  12. Let the Griswold’s story be a cautionary tale. Keep it simple.
  13. Do tell someone special, “I love you.”
  14. Then tell your special someone you love them a few more times. No one gets tired of hearing they are loved.
  15. Share a laugh with a close friend. This happens to be my husband.
  16. Then laugh till your belly aches.
  17. Hug your children.
  18. Hug your mother-in-law. This woman is your child’s grandmother after all. We’ll talk about later.
  19. Then give more hugs. Air kisses only if necessary.
  20. When you’ve finished steps thirteen through nineteen, repeat again.

I don’t know if I can squeeze in everything from this list. But, I do know I will be hugging my loved ones a bit tighter this season. That, and laughing more often. Nothing quenches a broken spirit like laughter.

MERRY CHRISTMAS! Hope your stockings are full and your HEARTS even fuller!

29 Responses to “It’s Not Too Late to Spread Christmas Cheer”

1. Number 20 sounds the best! Merry Christmas to you and yours and thanks for the cheer not just at Christmas , through out the year! Thank you!

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 5:59 am
  2. I want to do the popcorn/ movie as well. Hoping we can drive out at night to see some lights…

Merry Christmas!!!

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 6:07 am
  3. This is lovely. And thanks for the ping back. My goal for the next two days is to smile a lot and not be a Grinch. :)

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 7:01 am
  4. Merry Christmas Anka!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your 20 things are great gifts!!!! I will do my best to hit number 20 often. :)

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 7:14 am
  5. Merry Christmas, my blogger friend! Thank you for the excellent list. I will just take this opportunity to say that I’ve enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know you. Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 1:06 pm
    • Thank you for the kind words, my friend! It’s truly been a pleasure getting to know you as well. I think you and I just ‘get’ each other. We leave lots of room for trial and error in our parenting. And yet, there’s nothing we wouldn’t do for our babies! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | December 26, 2012, 8:30 am
  6. I am going to fund the time to put a few of these into practice. Happy holidays! SN: no longer @ my old site. Please visit me @ my new site,

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 1:27 pm
  7. #11–how true! I did just get a fun text message image from my sis having to do with this.

#6–the pizza en route to us right now was only meant for us, but our next-door neighbors are both awesome and welcome to have some, should our paths cross this evening!

Happy holidays!

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 5:39 pm
  8. Merry Christmas to you. Love the list!!!

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 7:23 pm
  9. Dear my friend , I wish to you a Merry Christmas to be blessed with happiness, good health, prosperity, and also your entire family!
    With much love, Stefan

Posted by | December 24, 2012, 11:23 pm
  10. Love your list, but where is the item that tells me to take a much needed nap? ;-) Merry Christmas again!

Posted by | December 25, 2012, 9:37 am
  11. Hope you and your family had a happy and beautiful Christmas!!! my favourite o n your list is #17 :-) we did a lot of it these last 2 days! :-)

Posted by | December 25, 2012, 11:54 pm
  12. Hi Anka! I hope your family had a wonderful Christmas! It was great here! Now time to clean up the tornado that swept through at our house!!! Ahhh….

Posted by | December 26, 2012, 5:05 am
    • I hear you, Melissa! I still haven’t started cleaning the tornado that swept through my house. I am beat! I think the older you get the longer it takes to recover. Glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. Now, I have to switch gears and start thinking about New Year’s Eve preparations! :)

Posted by Keeping it Real | December 26, 2012, 9:34 am
  13. I like 1, 10, 14, and 17. Hugs to go around around awesome! Hey Anka, love the new look of your site! It’s fresh and new. :) You’ve been working hard!

Posted by | December 26, 2012, 10:24 am
  14. I love this post. Great advice. Wish I’d followed these tips before My ex and I split up. Checkout my blog if you ever need encouragement to get back into work.

Posted by | December 27, 2012, 11:35 am