Cheeky Pig and the PC

I should probably be writing about something more sophisticated like the presidential debate instead of animated cartoon characters. It is a bit off topic, perhaps even pathetic, to think that an entire post could be devoted to a pig but to her credit she taught me something. That Peppa Pig caught my attention.

Photo Credit: cdn.static.ovimg.com

In this particular episode, the cheeky pig and her brother George went rummaging through an old chest of drawers. They decided to dress up like mom and dad. Peppa threw on a dress, powdered her cheeks, and put on mummy’s lipstick, while George changed into an old raggedy coat and top hat.

“George how do I look?” asked Peppa

“Lovely, just like mum,” he replied

“I am a pretty mummy pig indeed,” said Peppa

The two paraded over to show Mummy Pig just how cute they looked. But Mummy Pig was on her computer. As soon as Peppa and George walked in the room, she stopped typing and turned toward her children. Mummy Pig let out a big snort in the way of a laugh.

I should’ve been giggling too but I just sunk in my chair. This scene reminded me of a situation that played out in real life. Only my kids did not get the same reception.

A couple of weeks ago, my son and daughter made a similar attempt at dress up. Rather benign, right? Wrong.

The temps were high, felt even hotter with the humidity. I averaged less than 6 hours of sleep the night before and I just found out my husband was going to be late from work. It was the perfect storm. I was not in the mood to play.

Unbeknownst to me, my children slipped into two of my fanciest dresses and somehow managed to fasten my 4 inch “going-out on a date night” heels. They waltzed into the living room and before they could even say anything, I lost it. The only thing I could imagine in that moment were the beads busting off my silk gown and the straps of my suede booties splitting in half. I had a front row seat to a clothes catastrophe.

I couldn’t see straight. But my kids could. They saw perfectly clear. They saw mommy get upset. They knew exactly why too. Because “it was mommy’s stuff” and they weren’t allowed to play with it.

I look back now and I feel small. To think that I got so bothered by their imaginary play. Such a wasted opportunity.

But hindsight is 20/20.

And about that Peppa pig, I won’t forget her. She reminded me that imitation is the highest form of flattery and that my kids dressed up like me because they love me, maybe even look up to me.

I learned something from this little pig family. They taught me that it’s better to snort in life than to snarl.                                                  .

26 Comments

1. I have to remind myself to snort instead of snarl a lot. I’ve always been the relaxed happy go lucky kind of girl. Then when I became a mom it’s like order had to happen. Everything in it’s place and properly taken care of. I realized I was just stifling my daughters creativity and fun and had to let it go .. sometimes I’ll still catch myself trying to fix a situation that doesn’t need fixing!!

• Funny how kids change you. I am the “needs fixing” type too and believe me it’s not always easy letting go. Maybe I should practice snorting more?

2. Snort versus snarl? That was cute… but I oink.

Nice lesson in parenting!

• Ah . . . you got me! Oinking is good too. Maybe even more pleasant to the ear.

3. This is a great post! All of us moms have had those days that we wish we could do over!!!

• Glad to hear I’m not alone. Oh and the “do-overs,” how I wish I could go back and undo my mistakes. But for now, I’m going to practice laughing more.

4. Great post! I hear Peppa Pig’s accent in my head! We all have those reactions sometimes, it’s good to remind ourselves just to laugh. I came home yesterday to Logan in my riding boots pretending to be a pirate. I smiled and laughed but in my head I was saying “please don’t scuff them” :)

• Why do they love wearing our shoes? It’s something about the shoes. My son sneaks my boots too. He stomps around the house and says, “I’m Big Foot.” I could envision your little pirate Logan now . . .

5. Cynthia Matos-Medina

/  October 4, 2012

This is great! It brought warmth to my heart. I, very often, overlook what’s really important. Thank you for this post :)

6. I am guilty of “overlooking” fun opportunities too. It took a kiddie cartoon to remind me of my frailties. Whatever it takes, right? Thanks for sharing Cynthia.

7. love your post! I also learned from my mom, a look is more telling than a scream :) and I dread those looks!

• That’s right. Who can forget the “look?” I guess screaming does fall on deaf ears after a while. Good tip.

8. great post.. made me smile. thank you for sharing!

9. Happy to hear! This little pig family taught me how to smile (snort) more too.

10. How clever of the writers behind peppa pig to want to teach us Mums a thing or two, as well as provide sweet entertainment for little people.

• Clever indeed. I often find that these cartoons do extend meaning beyond the children’s scope. I have been humbled on more than one occasion.

11. So familiar, lack of sleep and time for Mama leading to less than ideal Mama responses. Familiar, human, and next time you’ll remember to stop and snort. Then carefully help them out of their costumes, to place them out of reach in the closet ;)

• Remember to stop and snort, got it. Hide the clothes so they’re out of reach, brilliant! You are clearly an expert Mrs. Fringe.

• ROFLOL, anyone, no matter how long they’ve been doing it–and I’ve been doing it a long time–who declares themselves an expert at Mamaing is delusional. :P

12. Sounds familiar! Of course, Peppa is best known for teaching our kids to jump in muddy puddles which on some days is funny and on some days is just guaranteed to make us shout.

• Love the muddy puddle episode. I agree with you, the idea of rolling around in puddles isn’t always cute or funny. But on a good day, I can take the messiness of motherhood in stride.

13. I was delighted to see this post. And I immediately knew the episode you refer to. In fact, I’m pretty sure Peppa accidentally deleted some of Mummy Pig’s work too, and even then no yelling! I also often feel a bit guilty when I watch Peppa. Mummy Pig sets high standards for us all. Too high, I think… X

• Funny observation. I think you’re onto something though. That Mummy Pig is uncharacteristically kind and patient. A bit suspect.

14. Anka, this is great. Don’t let this missed opportunity get you down. There will be others. Dress up in awesome for kids. Maybe you could put away your best stuff so it won’t be a tempation, and maybe go on a junk jaunt to find fun stuff cheap that they can dress up and ruin. I found a wedding gown at Goodwill last summer for 7 bucks. hell yeah I bought it. It was a puffy, beaded 1980′s monstrosity, but it had a great shape and beautiful lace, so I stripped it for parts and used them in the wedding gown I made. I’m sure your kids could find a wealth of treasures at a second hand store that would keep them busy for hours. Just a suggestion. I can’t wait for our little interview! I have read all of your posts and I admire your heart, your spirit and your truth. Bravo for you!

• Thanks, Julie! Love love love your idea about the Goodwill. My kids would have an absolute field day with “puffy monstrosities.” The gaudier the better.

• thecheekydiva

/  October 10, 2012

Oh yeah! 5 bucks allowance for a lot of slave labor goes a long way at the Goodwill or a garage sale. My kids lived for it.